Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Great Leaders reproduce themselves

There was a time when Bethany PCES had a singing team. We sang at the very West of Singapore, Jurong Point. We also sang at the very East of Singapore, Pasir Ris NTUC Downtown East. We also sang at the very heart of Singapore, Orchard Road. We sang because we had a very passionate musical leader, the Superintendent of the Sunday School. When she left, the musical team disappeared. There was no one to carry on the work.

There was a time when Israel had no giant killer. They were challenged for forty days by a giant. Then came a giant killer, David the Goliath killer. From then on, Israel raised up many giant killers. In 1Chron 20:4-8, we read of many giant killers under the leadership of King David – Sibbecai, Elhanan and Jonathon were all giant killers. Great leaders reproduce themselves. This is real leadership.

It has been said: "SUCCESS WITHOUT A SUCCESSOR IS A FAILURE"

A Moses reproduces his Joshua. A Paul reproduces a Timothy & a Titus. Those without a successor lasted just for that moment. Those with a successor set up a legacy.

Passionate leaders who are in the thick of action will always be on alert to search for potential leaders. In 1Sam 14:52, Saul is always looking out for potential warriors. Passionate leaders are able to observe and shift out potential leaders to invest their lives on them. Those who can’t are at best mediocre. Serving with the para-Church, Singapore Navigators in the tertiary institutions (SP & NTI) has taught me to be discerning and constantly on the look out for potential leaders, as students stayed only 3 to 4 years.

Many years ago, Dr Raymond Lee planned to go to Chiang Rai and serve as a missionary for one year. Pastor David excitedly announced to the committee. “This could be BPCES first missionary”. David personally told me that Raymond felt very strongly of the calling. I hinted many times to him that we need to mentor adult, not just youth, but he didn’t get my hint because when I said adult, I was thinking of Raymond. After waiting for years, it never happened. Raymond is still in Bethany. This year, Dr Raymond again wanted to go Yunnan and serve for one year. Again Pastor David excitedly announced to the committee. Would history repeat itself? When there is no mentoring, growth stalled. I have personally served with Raymond before and firmly believed that his desire is genuine. In year 1987, three of us – Luh Sy, Raymond and I volunteered as tuition teachers for the Houggang Center under the leadership of Elder William Ng. We had many students and it was the best community service the church had ever organized, according to my opinion. Every Thursday night, after classes, the 3 of us together with Brother Wai Teck had fun squeezing into Daniel’s car when going home. Even before I left for USA at the end of that year, my students gave me a farewell lunch at the Kelong at Upper Thomson Road. There is real joy in serving.

I believe there are many potential leaders & servants in Bethany. Who would want to go to Yunnan and squat in maggot-invested toilets if not for the heart to serve? These are the potential leaders (?) – Raymond, Ginnette, Siew Poh, … that great leaders will invest their time on them. Church leaders who understand the principles of successive leadership should talk to them and try to find out more about them rather than just let the mission trip of 1 week come and go.

One of my interests is to learn and study the Word of God. At the same time, I am looking for Christians who share my passion by sharing devotions, Bible study materials, and some training to those who are interested.

I am reminded of this story of an elderly gentleman who boarded a bus with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. As he sat down, he noticed an attractive young girl sitting across from him. Her eyes kept drifting over to the flowers. It was obvious that she was taken by them. In a few minutes it was time for the man to get off the bus. Standing to his feet, he handed the flowers to the girl and said, “I noticed that you like flowers. I would like for you to have these. I think my wife would like you to have them, too. I’ll tell her I gave them to you.” With that, he stepped off the bus… and entered the gate of a small cemetery.

I often try to see what people’s flowers are. Do you know yours?

Look out for that girl who admire your flower and give it to her. I have yet to find one. Or perhaps, I have no flower!

And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. (2Tim 2:2)

No comments: