Saturday, December 6, 2008

Be an Agent of God’s Blessing


Some of us are familiar with what Hudson Taylor used to say: “God’s work done in God’s ways never lack God’s Supply”

Ever wonder how God really provide for those in need?

I learnt this from my previous church. We worshipped in a very old wooden hut rented from an old couple along Balestier Road. We were poor and few in number, about 20 odd of us. Before I came to this church in 1976, there were some problems and many left. According to the pastor, someone came and “steal the sheep”.

In 1982, I was in my first year in the university (as a sophomore, Polytechnic students were exempted from first year engineering) and by God’s grace had received a scholarship. I knew in my heart (a very strong feeling) that God sent the money ahead for HIS future use. How did I know? When I received the scholarship, I needed to sign a bond. The two guarantors a\were my eldest brother, who is the church treasurer and Brother Tan, a businessman and a very godly brother whom everyone respected. He has since gone to be a pastor of another church. When you are dealing with money and with godly people (who gave everything they had to God) around you, you instantly know that the money belong to God. That was how the feeling came to me but I wasn’t quite sure what God was doing then.

In 1983, the church roof leaked quite seriously after many days of continuous raining. The church was in need of money for the roof repair. I then contributed whatever was leftover from the scholarship. No one knew where the money came except Brother Tan and my brother.

The following year, my pastor was on a mission trip to Canada and required a substantial sum of money (slightly more than $2700). The pastor pleaded relentlessly through his sermon. He asked for a collection. Very few responded. I knew that God again wanted to take back what HE had entrusted to me. One non-Christian visitor announced publicly that he would give an interest free loan to the pastor. The whole congregation felt very embarrassed. After the worship service, I told my brother to use the scholarship and whatever saving I had in his bank for pastor’s mission trip. After this second incident, I knew quite clearly that I was to be God’s agent of blessing to this poor church.

In 1985, one church brother enrolled in the Philippines theological seminary. This was my last year in the university and after offering my financial support for his dedication to serve God, I actually graduated from university studies with nothing in my bank account but learning everything about God’s riches.

Shortly, thereafter, I went to USA for job training and on returning from the States left the church in 1986 due to personal reasons.

People use to think that becoming a Christian is just to gain a passport to heaven. For me, becoming a Christian is to be God’s Agent of blessing.

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:19 NIV)

Mark Lim

No comments: