Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Devotion: Psalm 3 – Cry for Deliverance

Psalm Category - Lament Psalm (individual)

Read Passage here: Psalm 3:3

Even a king can be caught in a situation when he has to call upon God for deliverance. How much more a simple folk like me!

Interestingly, after the introductory chapters of Psalm 1 and 2, one would expect Praise and Worship psalms to follow suit. Yet the Psalmist places a lament Psalm ahead of all else. It is very comforting to know that even a king, one who is powerful, one that kills giants and has a mighty army and warriors can feel helpless and has to depend on God. [This psalm is written during King David runaway from his son’s revolt (2Sam 15-17)].

Have you ever had a time when you need help for deliverance?

I remember the time when I was a undergraduate student. It was a quiet night, as I was cycling in the compound of Nanyang Avenue. Out of nowhere, a dog bit my left foot without any barking or warning. I didn’t think it was serious enough then. But it landed me in hospital for 5 days.

It was near examination time and missing lectures can be daunting and worrisome. Even after I was discharged, I still could not walk and concentrate on doing anything. Thankfully, I learnt to pray and like king David, “I cried out loud, and He answered me from His holy hill” (verse 4).

After my examination results were released, I was surprised that I got perfect As and even one distinction. The best part of it all was that one of my unbeliever classmates asked me how I was so calmed going through it all. He experienced a similar situation like mine during his first year in NUS and nearly failed most of his subjects.

That is the difference between one who believes and call on the LORD and one who doesn’t.

Memorise – Psalm 3:4
To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.

No comments: