Friday, June 5, 2009

Devotion: Psalm 5 – A Morning Prayer for Help

Psalm Category – Lament Psalm (individual)

Read the passage: 5 For the director of music. For flutes. A psalm of David

This is my fifth morning devotion.

I was wondering whether I should write all these in this blog every morning talking about my devotion. It sounded so boring, who would read? Nevertheless, I turned to Psalm 5 and verse 3 caught my attention.

Morning by morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
morning by morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation. (verse 3)

Yeah, even the Psalmist is having his devotion morning by morning, talking to the LORD, and waiting in expectation! :)

So, I am not alone. This verse has encouraged me to continue, morning by morning. So today, I am going to spend a bit more time to do some analyze of the whole Psalm.

This was the pattern I saw:

My Chiastic Outline for PSALM 5

A. v1-3 Appeal for God’s help

B. ............v4-6 Abhorrence towards evil

X. ..........................v7-8 Adoration & Request

B’. ..........v9-10 Attributes of evil

A’. v11-12 Affirmation of God’s blessing

In this chiastic outline, the central message is adoration (WORSHIP). This is what I discovered last Sunday during the worship service. After the worship service, I am convinced that I should spend more time in devotion.

Thank you, LORD for showing me that even in prayer and petition, I need to come in reverence (and bow down verse5).

WORSHIP comes before all else.

PTL

No comments: