Thursday, September 20, 2012

Evangelism - "Come" instead of "Go"

Most sincere Christians have a nagging fear of evangelism.

We are afraid that we might offend someone or loose a friendship if that friend is hostile to what our faith is. So we don’t go to friends and ask them whether they want to hear about Jesus Christ or Christianity.

What if, instead of you going to your friends, they come to you and ask you about Christianity. Wouldn’t that be easier?

Of course, but the probability of them coming to you are usually low, very low. So, how to increase that probability?

PRAY!

Yes, pray; if you believe in prayer. Ask God to bring those who want to talk about Christianity to you. That way, you can then start a meaningful conversation with them that is vested for Eternity.

OK. So yesterday, after the morning devotion, I prayed that God will send someone to me and that he initiated to talk to me about religion. That way, I can share my faith in Christ to him after talking about his religion. Will God do it? I really have some doubt, because the Bible calls me to “Go, make disciples”; not “Come, make disciples”. Anyway, it is a prayer from the heart and I just forget about it after praying.

During lunch time, after I gave thanks for the food, a colleague asked, “Do you come from a Christian family?” This colleague is much older than me, a very serious, Chinese traditional guy that is best to avoid talking about personal things. So when he unleashed the “religion” question, I was sort of caught off guard. Of all the people, God brings the one that appears to be least interested in Christianity to ask me about Christianity. Not only that, God do more than I can imagine: I prayed that someone would ask me about religion, yet God makes it easier by going to the heart of issue, not religion but Christianity.

So, that is how God can make evangelism easier for you if fear is the reason why you are not sharing Christ with others.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us (Eph 3:20)

Agape

No comments: