Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Show kindness; but with wisdom

Does kindness beget kindness?

Usually this is so, but sometimes, people who know that you are kind will take advantage of your kindness.

What would you do then? …

Continue to be a door-mat and be stepped all over? …

A few months ago, I recruited a technician to work in my department. He is not very bright but I thought I could give him encouragement and close supervision, after interviewing him. He seemed to have a good and positive attitude. After all, I believe, attitude is all that matter.

Then, after a couple of weeks working in the company, he ended up in hospital for stomach problem. I visited him and gave him assurance and encouragement. I also showed a lot of compassion to him, giving him a lot of time-off as he also has two aged parents who are not healthy. I tried to accommodate him by giving him flexible working hours. However, as time passed, I noticed that he began to take medical leaves very often, even for seemingly discomfort. [He would just send SMS stating that “I have backache.”]. Also, he would come to work at about 9.30am (instead of the usual 8.30am to 6pm) but when the time to dismiss (at 6pm), he would just loiter around till his time to leave office (7pm). That way, he can still maintain the same amount of working hour.

Also, I have given him a list of work to do, yet he has not achieved any to these. Moreover, the list of works is quite simple. [“If you can’t do, just ask, the engineer will teach you.”]

After some months, I called him up and told him about his work contributions. Apparently, he did mention that I was quite compassionate to him, after knowing about his family background. Then I decided to tell him, “I can be kind to anyone but I need to be fair to the company who employs us and do our part to contribute to the company success. We should not take advantage of kindness”. His face changed and it showed; that he realized that I have seen through his motive.

My thought then was – we need to be nice, kindness and generous, but we need also to be wise to discern those who take advantage of our kindness and use us and think of us as a fool.

Matthew 10:16 – “See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves”

Agape

No comments: