Monday, August 5, 2013

How to know you are filled by the Spirit

“Honk! Honk, honk!” the car on the right lane blasted away at me. He was quite a distance from my car as I signaled to change into his lane in order to make a right turn. Just a signal could agitate another driver, as if the whole road belongs to him. It was definitely an ungracious act. There is no need to vent one’s anger.

Calmly, I did not change lane. There was no unwarranted feeling in me. Maybe it was quite late into the night and I just don’t want any external situation to influence my peace. It was then that I recalled what Charles Swindoll wrote:

“Grumbling is a sure sign that the flesh in control. … Show me a grumbler, and I’ll show you a person who has distanced herself or himself from the Spirit of God. When we are filled with the Spirit, there is an overwhelming sense of thankfulness. We are not hard to please. We are happy to have whatever God provides.” – Embraced by the Spirit, page 84

I have always like Charles Swindoll’s books. His discussions center on the filling of the Holy Spirit. But not the charismatic type of signs & wonder, if you know what I mean. Typical of Charles, he talks to you as he writes. Then he anticipates your questions and answers them.
As you might have guess it if you know your Bible, the passage is on Ephesians 5:18-21
 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Base on this verse, we can know that we are filled by the Holy Spirit when our hearts are …

  1. My heart is teachable
  2. My heart is melodious
  3. My heart is thankful (grateful)
  4. My heart is humble (submissive)
As I evaluate these 4 points that Charles wrote, I began to understand why many a times, there is this soft humming (may be a song) inside me. I am not a “song” person, but more a “Word” person. I would rather memorise and recite Bible verses than sing a song. When I am at rest, I would recall a Bible verse than to sing a Christian song. But since sometime last year after an “Empowering of the Holy Spirit” seminar, the soft humming seems to come quite often. So my heart is trying to be melodious.

I have no problem being teachable and thankful. Now, the most difficult of all … be humble.

I am still working on this area.


Agape!

No comments: