Monday, February 7, 2022

Motivation & Discipline

After more than 4 years, I finally break the barrier and ran a distance of 13km last Saturday morning! And the timing was very good as compared to those time when I ran that kind of distance.


Looking back on the past, I have received remarks like “you are wasting your time jogging. Better to go and sleep”. “Jogging is a boring activity”. So what keeps me going and enjoying it in fact? Where does my motivation come from?

My Motivation to jog

The number one motivation is that I have seen some very old people who are still very fit and healthy. I want to be like them. I have also known a few relatives who are in their 70’s and already lose their mobility. That is a stern reminder to be able to jog and run. Also, by being healthy and mobile, I won’t be a burden to my family but instead I can serve and do house chore for them.

Jogging also enable me to go to places less accessible by most people. I use to jog inside the Mandai forest, the MacRitche Reservoir trail, the Changi Coastal track. Some of these places are not passable by bike. It’s only by walking or jogging. So, if you like adventure into the forest, jogging is the best approach. I can cover more areas and leave the place before dark. I remember many years ago, I almost could not get out of the forest in time after sunset. Once it is pitch dark, it is difficult to get out of the forest. Of course, not many Singaporeans know about danger inside the Mandai forest as they have never try to get inside it. I have always wanted to jog there again. May be one of these days …

Jogging Needs Discipline

Jogging is a very boring activity. Long distance jogging is very lonely. So what keeps me going?


Truth be told, there are 5 stages of a runner.

#1 The Beginner

#2 The Jogger

#3 The Competitor

#4 The Athlete

#5 The Runner

 

Most people who are not jogging now are the one who have never break past “the beginner”. Beginner needs the most discipline. The body will discourage you to go for a jog. Most succumb to it and never pick up the discipline to jog or run. But once you move past this stage, the discipline of going for a run just come naturally. That’s when you enter into the second stage – The Jogger. The jogger’s runs are satisfying in themselves. There is almost a “glow” at the end of the run, the reward for the effort. If you understand what I mean, you have become a jogger. If not, then keep jogging until you understand this.

Occasionally, I turn myself into the Competitor (stage 3). This is where I try to out beat myself.


Today, I ran a good run. A short 5km. I could go faster but have to be careful of injury.

My Athlete days are over. Those were the times when I ran for medals and trophies. - Earthly Treasures that rust and were throw away :(

Above all, if running is part of your lifestyle just like eating and sleeping, then you have reach the last stage – the Runner. For me, whenever I am happy, I go for a run. Whenever I am sad, I go for a run to make myself happy again. I am most happy when I am running.

But as one ages, jogging is still enjoying. The pace may slow down though.


How about you? Hope to meet you when you are jogging .... Keep going!

Agape

No comments: