Saturday, August 23, 2008

Heart - to – heart: THINKING ABOUT 1Samuel 8

Last Saturday night, I somehow turned to 1Samuel Chapter 8 from my New Revised Standard Version Bible and read through the passage. It was a sad passage and I felt for our brother Samuel of the past. It must be very sad for him and I believe the book 1Samuel might be written by him. In my mind, I was imagining what Samuel (as a father and church leader) would have been thinking when he was writing this passage that would one day come to us as Scripture…


"God, look at my sons, my godless sons! Everybody knows they are hooligans, perverting justice and accepting bribes just like the sons of Eli. LORD, you know, I tried so hard to be a good father. I even named them Jevovah is God (Joel) and the Lord is my father (Abijah). I thought this can help shape their character. Every time, someone called them, Jevovah is God and the Lord is my father, surely, they would be conscious of their behaviors. You know, LORD, my mentor; Eli wasn't a good father either. I learn nothing good from him about parenting. Since young, I was away from home. I seldom see my father (sobbing); I don't have a role model. And now, everybody is rejecting me and asking for a king. (crying)"

"I know you tried very hard to be a good father, and even named your sons after me. That is why I didn't punish them and you like I did to Eli and his sons. Now, listen to the voice of the people (repeated 3 times in verses 7, 9 and 22). What they are asking is reasonable. They have not rejected you, but me. My people are always reluctant to know and obey me, ever since they left Egypt. Since, there is no better judge after you; I will give them a king. But warn them that a king makes more and tougher demands from them than a judge."


Lessons learnt: ·

  • A father's concern

Don't know how our children will turn out to be. But we must continue do our best to guide them in the godly path. ·


  • As a leader, I should live exemplary life.I must do what I teach and say.
It tough being a leader, always under scrutiny (just feel like quitting) and go to another church ·

  • God is gracious, even if I fail in my duties (as parent or leader), God takes the blame.
It's comforting to read how God comfort Samuel. This is the assurance we have from God when we serve Him. So don't quit. ·

  • Listen to the voices of the people
The people whom we lead and serve do have their grievances as well. Learn to listen to their voices as well as their unspoken voices. Critics (although not always right) do have their views too.

Mark Lim
20/8/08

No comments: