Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why I started my blog

Blogging started 3000 years ago. It may be longer than that.

The most readable blog at that time would be about a shepherd boy. Although a shepherd himself, he was able to see himself as a sheep with His God as his shepherd. As he grew older, he made more enemies. Most times he was pursued by them. Yet he looked to God and write:

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.

Many years later, he became king. I guess that was when he decided to make his blog known. And so I have the privilege of reading his blog. So do you. Perhaps reading this shepherd turn-into king’s blog is the first place to start before one starts to write his own blog. Want to know where to read his blog? Do let me know and I will provide the information.

I too have my own encounters. I started to keep a diary a year later after I became a Christian in 1976. There seemed to be a lot of things happening after receiving Christ as Saviour and Lord. Life seems so different. At first it was about just reading the Bible. Then it was about trying to do what the Bible said. Then people became the most important things in life. It was not about success, being first in class, or the best runner in school anymore. It is not about getting. It is about giving. Giving my time to help others in their studies. Giving my energy to encourage those who just became Christians. Giving my pocket money to support the Christian servants. Life gradually started to be different. And when I gave, God gave me more in order that I could continue to give. He gave me “more time”. I didn’t need to study a lot to do well in exam. He gave me more energy. I could still be among the first few in a race even though I seldom trained due to lack of time. He gave me more money so that I could give to those in need. I seemed to be HIS channel of giving without loosing what I liked to do – studies and running. I needed to write them down. And so I started to keep a diary. But with my poor command of English, it was just my diary, my God and me. Writing helped me to listen to my heart and to God. It also helped me in sharing my life with church friends. Sometimes, I revealed too much about what God was doing in my life, people got frightened. One young Christian lady once said to me after hearing my struggle: “you are so transparent that it frightens me.” Since then, I try to be careful in my sharing. My writings got lesser and lesser. … Then the writing stopped. Those pages-old diaries are still in the shelf somewhere. Eh, don’t know where.
Then I came to Bethany. I find that people just don’t open up, except a few. Perhaps being transparent is frightening. Or perhaps we have not learn to listen ... to God or how he is working in our lives. Not sure about this.

This year, I want to be like David the shepherd boy. He doesn’t need to wear a mask. He sinned greatly and we know how he felt when we read his blog. And that is why I write mine even though I have yet to read any others blog, except David Ben Jesse’s. He cared to write. Or was it God who inspired him to write?

Blogging help to be transparent and share my heart. One day, every secret will be made known.

Share our blogs, share our hearts and remove all masks.

"Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs. (Lk 12:1-3)

Agape
Mark

No comments: