Friday, February 20, 2009

Higher Expectation for Leaders

We expect a higher integrity and morality from our leaders. And this is rightly so.

No one would be interested if I were to tell you that my Christian neighbour committed adultery and is now divorced. But, if I tell you Pastor ABC's daughter has a child out of wedlock, it becomes church news.

What is true for Christian leaders is also true for political leaders.

The sensation of the Malaysia political woman nude photos exposed in the press reminds me of the woman caught in adultery in John chapter 8:1-11. The Pharisees asked Jesus: “What do you say?” Jesus did not deny her sin. But He exposed their motives. This is the best example that Jesus taught us how to judge – Justice with compassion and exposing sly motives.

The Malaysian woman is single. But she is a political leader. Did she done any wrong? What are the motives of these exposed nude photographs?

We know what the motives of her opponents are, but that is not my interset in this blog.

She told a press conference: "I wish to state that I am not ashamed of my sexuality as a woman and a single person. I have broken no laws. I stand by the fundamental principle in a democracy that everyone has a right to privacy,"

While she has broken no law and entitled to her right to privacy, we need to understand that as one get higher up in leadership, one looses more and more of her privacy. If she want to hold on to privacy, then be a common people and relinquish leadership.


This applies to church leadership also. The moment I hold duty as committee member, chairman of Christian Education ministry, BSG leader, preaching in Sunday worship services, etc, I loose my privacy. What I do and how I talk in my daily life is significant. This applies to the YA presidency also. Yep, we leaders carry a higher degree of morality and integrity – in speech, thought and action.

Like that very difficult leh!

Yes, it’s not easy to be a leader. What we Christian leaders need to do then is to maintain a close walk with the LORD - in WORD and in PRAYER.

Practice the PRESENCE OF GOD in my life.

Agape to all.

No comments: