Sunday, February 22, 2009

A promise that shapes my life


Today is a special day.
On my honour, I promise that I will do my best –
To do my duty to God and the Republic of Singapore
To help other people;
And to keep the Scout Law.


Yes, this is the Scout promise. Every true Boy Scouts know that today is World Scout Day, our Founder’s birthday Lord Baden Powell, born on 22nd February 1857.

I remember on this day, many years ago when I first made the Scout Promise in public. It meant a lot to me when I recited it. It is a promise that I learn to abide by, and is still keeping it.

I promise that I will do my best …
On reflection, I can honestly say that in everything, I always do my best –
as a student,
as an officer cadet,
as an engineer,
as a reservist doing my IPPT and national service,
as a Christian,
as a member of Bethany PC,
as a father, …

To do my duty to God …
Our Founder was a Christian. I wasn’t a Christian then. Perhaps it is this promise that makes me want to know God personally. It reminds me of Ecc. 12:13

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

To help other people …
Boy Scouts are trained to serve. This is our calling. We did many services during those days. It has somehow impacted me a lot, those scouting days.

There are many good things about being a Boy Scout. Like being “Be Prepared”, develop skills and leadership. But the one thing that really shaped my life and thinking is the Scout Promise.

Is He satisfied? Is He satisfied?
Is He satisfied with me?
Have I done my best, have I stood the test?
Is He satisfied with me?

No comments: