Friday, May 8, 2009

Attitude makes the difference

I have been thinking about the working attitude about some of the engineers in my work place.

I have Filipino, Indian, Chinese, Malaysians, and Singaporeans Engineers working in the company.

The Southern Indians are hardworking. They talk less but work hard. The Northern Indians are direct opposite. I have worked with quite a number of Indian engineers and this is my personal perception. There is this Indian engineer who came to work almost every Saturday, even though there is no over time claim for executive. He even volunteered to help me in some projects even though he does not report to me or work in my department! Which of us would want to do more work? How nice if all our Bethany PCES members have such attitude toward church work.

I have also a Filipino engineer attached to me (from another department) for one project. The Filipinos behavior is quite similar to the Malays. (You know what I mean). They are more laid back - take it easy kind of mentality. This Filipino working on one project keep re-scheduling date line, pushing from last year September, to December, to this year February, to April and is still not complete till today. Although there are some delays in the material, it is actually poor scheduling and work attitude. He comes to work at about 9:30 to 9:45am (officially it is 8:30am) and work till after 8:30pm (officially the work day end at 6:00pm). But what he does after office hour, nobody knows. He claims for taxi fare as this is allowed according to the company regulation for executive who work late. I have not tell him off about his work timing because the big bosses are also coming in late for work, setting “the example” for “people” to follow.

Also, this guy is a Christian.

And this Filipino engineer doesn’t go the extra mile by coming to work on weekend.

Anyway, he is just attached to me for this project onlyy and now I have asked him to go back to his previous department.

As for me, my work attitude is according to Col 3:23,24:

23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving

Notice that the verse says - whatever you do,

What is your attitude towards work?

No comments: