Saturday, June 13, 2009

Watch how we speak!

I didn't know Psalm also talk about how people speak!

I thought it was just in the Book of James and Proverbs

In Psalm 12, I learnt about how I should be careful in my speech -

(1) lies (verse 2a)
(2) flattering with deception (verse 2b)
(3) boastful (verse 3)
(4) self-centred words (verse 4)
(5) people groaned (verse 5a)
(6) malign (verse 5b)

Yet, the Word of the LORD is flawless :) (verse 6)

Today devotion brings back memory of a time when someone spoke carelessly and hurt another. ...

It was in a BSG meeting when we were studying 2Cor 6 about unequally yoke with unbelievers. The opening question was "What would you do if you have fallen in love with an unbeliever?" Being a BSG leader and preparing this study on my own, I feared the greatest fear that this question might stumbled someone would come true.

Sad to say, it did happened. I hated this question :(

On Sunday BSG, one sister-in-Christ who seldom spoke up felt it was time to speak since the question was directing at her. (She just got married to an unbeliever). She explained that she will try to bring her husband to church and led him to Christ.

Then a brother strongly stated his stand, without due consideration and compassion. that Christian should not be involved with unbeliever. He even spoke for God: "Do you think God would be pleased when we have relationship with non-Christian?"

I felt sad then, feeling how insensitive such a brotherly action was. Words spoken was hurtful. I felt sad for this sister because she was already in the relationship towards marriage before she became a Christian.

She had long left the church and went to another church.

A careless word may kindle strife,
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill,
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way,
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress,
A loving word may heal and bless.

PTL

No comments: