Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Legalism - right or wrong?

Can a Christian smoke?

No, lah!

Why not?

Bad for health, Christian should take care of his body.


Added to this were some other rules that I learnt when I first became a Christian in 1976. Here are some of them:
- Christian should not patronize a discotheque.
- Christian cannot go to a night club
- Christian cannot gamble
- Christian cannot get drunk
- Christian cannot marry a non-Christian
- Christian cannot go to a cinema!!

The last one may have shock you. But that was what my pastor would nicely encourage us to keep away from such places.

From what I understand, legalism then is the adherent to a system of rules and regulations (similar to the above) so as to protect us from sin. It is similar to the way of the Pharisees where they set up rules and regulation to protect the Mosaic Laws..

So should Christian abide by these legalism?

I remember many years ago when my wife and I are holidaying in Rome during the cold autumn. We saw 2 men dressed in priestly gowns drinking coffee and smoking. My wife was shocked and said to me: “How can Christians smoke?”

But honestly, there is no rule in the Bible that literally says that we cannot smoke or dance. Avoiding such things does not make us more holy. But indulging in them may lure us further and further away from the LORD. Our only commandment is Love God and Love others (Matt 22:37-40).

How then do we draw the line?

For me, I usually follow this principle, the 6-8-10 principle (from 1Cor 6, 8, 10):

1Cor 6:12 (NASV)
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything

Avoid anything that will addict me.


1Cor 8:9 (NASV)
But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak

Avoid anything that will stumble another Christian.

1Cor10:31 (NASB)
Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

If it glorifies God, then it probably OK. If it is neutral, then check the other 2 principles.


These are my personal principles and not to be imposed on anybody. If others opinion differs from mine, then I need to act in grace. Remember the story of the woman caught in adultery by the Scribes and Pharisees in John 8? Clearly, the woman has committed a sin but Jesus Christ has gracefully pardoned her. Likewise, I don’t condemn Christians who marry non-Christians – deliberately or due to circumstances. They did nothing wrong (that is my view), but hopefully they can live godly lives and influence their spouses to Christ one day.

My final principle in life

Let all that you do be done in love. (1Cor 16:13)

Gal 5:13 (NASV)
For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

(freedom in Gal 5:13 mean free from the Law or legalism)

PTL :)

1 comment:

Mark Lim Teng Lye said...

I need to clarify, going to cinema may not be wrong. Sometime, the show can be an avenue for further discussion and evangelism.

My take is that going to cinema is really neutral in itself.

Should then Christians be discourage from watching R(A) show?