Tuesday, August 11, 2009

20th Anniversary of BPCES

What changes do you see after 20 years in Bethany PCES?




I was pondering over this question for a long time. Should I or shouldn’t I blog about my thoughts on this? I shelved the idea …, until I happen to read about another church who is also in her 20th anniversary.

http://www.konghee.com/www/2009/08/what_chc_is_all_about/#more-4793


In 1989, we formed the "new" Bethany PCES with a sad beginning. There was a church division. It was not that we wanted to grow for the LORD. We just wanted to stay in Bethany while the other group wanted to build their own church. I had just returned from the United States and was not fully aware of the issue. I was free to join any groups or to go to another church.

I came to Bethany in 1986, after attending another church for 10 years. So, it was not appropriate to move to another church again. All my close “working” church friends joined the out-going group, Bethany Emmanuel, except David Lim who remained in BPCES. Ever since I came to Bethany, they were my regular partners during street evangelism. However, I was not comfortable to be under the leaders of Bethany Emmanuel. Whether the church will grow or die depends on the leaders. “But they have taken all the ‘working’ people and the youth.” That was my parting thought.

In 1989, we started with less than 30 people. In 2009, we had about 89 members and probably about a 100 worshippers each Sunday. In 20 years, we increased less than 4 times, many of these are biological. We were waiting for our kids to grow up and take over. When they reached their late teens, we were already talking about handling the church leadership to them. They are now playing active role in worship, Bible Study and even as committee members of the English service.


Bethany PCES is never strong and dedicated to prayer, Word and evangelism – the pillars for spiritual revival and growth.

We started that way, we will continue to move in that way.

We just wanted to stay in Bethany. ...


No comments: