Friday, October 9, 2009

Different sexes solve problems differently

When a man encounters a difficult problem, he will analyze and think about how to solve it. When a woman faces the same problem, she will ask for help. In the end, the woman find the solution, while the man is still thinking of the problem!

I see this happen many times in Amplus. I have ladies engineers - Yang Ling and Xu Fan, and guy engineers - Resmond, Andrew, and now Max. All of them do the same thing. The guys will not approach me for help and will always try to show that they can do it. The ladies will almost immediately come to me for help and learn how to solve the problems.

Man has a big ego! He trys to show that he can do it without help :(
This apply also to me. It taught me to ask and be open to discuss. I don't need to show that I know everything and so I usually ask around from those who have done or experiment with certain engineering areas before, to get some knowledge.


Presently, only Max is now working under me. All the other engineers have left the company. After 3 weeks, I still see him struggling with his project. And I am still waiting to see if he will approach me to ask for help. Before him was Xu Fan. The moment she faced some problem, she would ask me for help, just like Yang Ling.

I always tell my engineers - "There is no penalty in askig questions." "Always ask if you don't know." (For those who are Christians, you will know Matt 7:7 - Ask and it will be given to you)


Watch my ego!!

No comments: