Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Devotional Thought: Wealth - Sharing or Hogging?

We all like to get rich. And there is nothing wrong with it.

But then, the question is, what do I do with the vast amount of money if I am rich?

As I read Our Daily Bread this morning on Luke 12:13-21 , I can’t help but ask this question to myself. No, I am not rich, just enough to live the day, sufficient to sustain my family of 5 (I am the only bread-winner), and keep some for the children’s university education in the near future.

The rich farmer in Jesus’ parable, did nothing wrong actually. He continues to grow his wealth. However, what Jesus says is wrong with him is that he is rich only to himself and not rich towards God (Luke 15:21). How then does one become rich towards God?

Last Saturday, I attended a friend’s daughter wedding dinner. In Singapore, a wedding usually cost a fortune and guests usually give cash gift in the form of Ang Pao (red packet). As I was deciding how much to give, the words “Be a Blessing” kept ringing in my mind. It is good to have money to be able to bless someone. Perhaps, that is what Jesus means when He calls us to be rich towards God – sharing our wealth and not hogging it all for self?




Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." (Luke 12:15)

No comments: