Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chasing our Dreams & our Happiness


Yesterday, the boss walked into my office to discuss a business opportunity. In the midst of the conversation, he sigh, “I am very stressed up with the company’s businesses”

11 years ago, the boss together with a few of us started this electronic company. We wanted to chase our dream. We believe we have what it takes to compete globally. Life has always been stressful since then. It is difficult to compete with the big multi-national companies. But, thank God, we are never in the red.

But are we happy?

This morning, as I read Our Daily Bread on Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 , I feel that true happiness is not self-seeking. The whole passage is about the “I” (mentioned 18 times), “my” and “me”. And at the end of all the achievement,

what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. (Ecc 2:11)

I received this story from a colleague:

Some time ago, at the Seattle Olympics,
nine athletes, all mentally or physically challenged,
were standing on the start line for the 100 m race.
The gun fired and the race began.
Not everyone was running, but everyone wanted to participate and win.

They ran in threes, a boy tripped and fell, did a few somersaults and started crying.
The other eight heard him crying.
They slowed down and looked behind them.
They stopped and came back… All of them…

A girl with Down’s Syndrome sat down next to him,
hugged him and asked, “Feeling better now?”
Then, all nine walked shoulder to shoulder to the finish line.

The whole crowd stood up and applauded.
And the applause lasted a very long time…

People who witnessed this still talk about it.
Why? Because deep down inside us, we all know that the most important thing in life is much more than winning for ourselves.

The most important thing in this life is to help others to win.
Even if that means slowing down and changing our own race.

"A candle loses nothing if it is used to light another one.”


One of my most cherished quotations was written in my autograph book by my Primary 6 teacher before I left that school:

Only one life, it will soon be past.
Only what’s done for Christ, will last


Agape :)

No comments: