Monday, May 3, 2010

Avoid Unwholesome Words





“Did I blurt out those words?”

As I left the church yesterday afternoon, this question kept flashing in my mind. I was sharing my experience about my early Christian life during the workshop conducted by the Pastor that morning. I may have used un-appropriate words carelessly. Thinking about it, one Bible verse came to my mind:

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.” (Eph 4:29 NASB)

When I first became a Christian some 30 plus years ago, my Bible Study leader listed certain unwholesome words that were not appropriate for us to use (not just swear words and filthy words). Through the years, the list may have changed:

1. dnmaed
2. btrsaad
3. tlak ccok
4. siht
5. blul siht

(I have scrambled the in-between letters of each word). You may disagree with this list and may have your own list of unwholesome words. I like to hear from you.

I made a confession and prayed that I may be more careful with my words in future. Peace within, at last!

This morning, as I turned to Our Daily Bread,

http://www.rbc.org/devotionals/our-daily-bread/2010/05/03/devotion.aspx

hmmn, the issue of proper words cropped out again. On further meditation, I realized that in this internet world, certain abbreviations can fall under the category of unwholesome words, which I only learnt about them recently:

1. WTF
2. OMG!

You may not agree with me, but I think OMG! would be breaking the third commandment of “using the LORD’s name in vain”. Ancient devoted people were always careful not to take the LORD’s name lightly.

Ponder over what I have written.

And let’s encourage one another with wholesome words. :)

1 comment:

izlim said...

Sometimes words just get entrenched in our hearts. This is especially the case when I was in army. Such words became so common that I no longer felt anything listening to them. I still kept them out of my mouth, but keeping them out of my mind was next to impossible.