Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is there a Green Pasture for me?


What can I do if one day I am fired from my job?

For the past few months, I was pondering over this question. With each passing months, the D-day get nearer and the thoughts get more intense.

Since last October, there’s a UK company thinking of buying over our company. They carried out due diligence for quite a number of times and basically audit everything. The company also flew in their lawyer, accountant, and a small team of people. My big boss (the president of the company) was very excited and announced in December that they would make a decision by end of March 2010. He sounded very confident that they will buy us over.
(And that will make him very rich!!)

For me, my position as an engineering staff sound precarious. If they were to reduce head-count, engineering / R&D staffs are usually the first to be replaced by their own people. Moreover, my job scope would not fit into their whole company structure.

For the past 10 years, my company has survived economy downturn and 3 companies who we worked for default in payment amounting to million of dollars. We have always been blessed even in difficult times. Though my bosses are not God-believers, yet I see the hand of God leading me here. Just the other day, I heard my boss, the General Manager (who is not a Christian) saying, “We are lucky, God is helping us.” He knows I am a Christian as I used to share the Christian faith with him.

I have been praying about this for quite a long time. Would I need to look for green pasture? Can I say with confident: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lies down in green pasture …” ?

Would this be the last of me here in this company since the day of start-up?

Then the beginning of April 2010 came. The big boss told us that they decided not to buy our company but will continue to just do business with us. He sounded disappointed but he will look for new buyers.

Thank God, I guess HE wants me to stay here a bit longer.

But still I need to prepare for Green Pasture should the day I need to move. Retirement is not the option at this moment as my children are still schooling. And so the question still lingers on …

What can I do if one day I am fired from my job?

No comments: