Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Money, in the name of religion





Many years ago, my big boss sneered when the topic on religion was being discussed : “All religions are just out to get people's money!” Unfortunately, he is always right

In Singapore, we have seen Catholic priest, Buddhist monk, Muslim cleric, and now church all involving in money tussles with the Law.

Yesterday, another church in Singapore is being probed by the Commercial Affair Department (CAD) about the church money matters.

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/05/31/city-harvest-church-members-under-investigation/

More significantly is the testimony of one comment:

Atheist on May 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm
I am glad this is happening. Its high time, the authorities checked all these churches, temples and mosques, so many ppl give with the intention that the $$ goes for good causes like to the poor, less fortunate and etc. In particulr, so many of these churches practice the old testament of giving 10% of ur salary to the church and on top of that weekly donations.
Many years back, i joined City Harvest and after gg thru 3 month orientation with them, I was a “member” of the church. Then they started asking for 10% of our pay and the church actually have ” cell group leaders” or “debt collectors” to harrasses us for that $$. I wasnt too happy but I gave them my 10% which was a 3 figure sum. Things went out of hand when they requested for my payslip to check if I was really giving 10% of my pay in which I immediately stopped gg to the church as I felt something was not right.
And of significance, it is notably that since the birth of this church, the pastor has apparently upgraded his cars, to condominiums and etc.
This checking of financial records should be an annual thing. Just the other day, I saw a monk driving a BMW 7 series at my block to attend a funeral to chant prayers. When he stepped out, you shld have seen the faces of the family and relatives at the wake. I too was surprised
.


Well, my fellow BSG leaders, hope we can all reflect and learn from this comment (whether his comment is true or not).

No comments: