Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Envy the world or Zealous for God?

Coming from the elite schools during his secondary school and Pre-U education, my long time friend spoke disparagingly about how useless he is.

Of course, when you compare with the best of your cohort, you may look ordinary. But this friend of mind is very successful in his own right – a big house, high ranking civil servant; and his wife is at the top of corporate ladder. His children are in elite schools and the eldest is going to medicine school in Cambridge next year. Sure, when he compares with all those ministers and MPs friends, he seems nothing.

I met some of my very old friends last week over dinner. Our discussions tend to focus on success and worldly pursuits. Although, all of us are Christians, I was wondering why we never talk about Kingdom values. I was also wondering whether they are walking well with the LORD. It is the extroverts and those that chase after things of this world spoke the most. I just listened and reflected on what were discussed.

Don’t get me wrong. My friends are all upright citizens. It’s just that we miss out talking about an important part of our lives – our lives in the LORD. Maybe, they don’t see that as very important?

 I left the gathering with this thought:

Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. (Prov 23:17)

Agape

No comments: