Monday, September 3, 2012

Words are Touchy!! :(

Speaking Truth in Love – easier said than done!!
Even good intentions may sound boastful.

How do you correct other’s error without sounding obnoxious in a Christian group’s discussion? It probably happened a few times to me, without my knowledge.

Oh, I do remember the last incident though. It happened just a few months back. The leader was reading the synopsis of the discussion and there was a misprint on the meaning of “Joab – Jehovah is my God”. That was when I spoke up. I raised my hand and kindly stated that “actually Joab should be Jehovah is my father”

However, the leader looked into my eyes and stated – “Jehovah is my God is the same as Jehovah is my father.” I looked at the group and everyone seemed to agree with him. That was when I felt that I sound boastful to correct the leader. So, I need to clarify:

“Jo-ab is a short version of Jo = Jehovah and ab = abba which is father in Hebrew. And the Sunday’s preacher also said that Joab means Jehovah is my father”

Back in my mind, I knew that Jo-el = Jehovah is my God; el = elohim (which is God), but I just had to speak less and stop talking since I was appearing to be showing off my Christian Knowledge.

Ok. So, did I do any wrong? My mind flashed to Prov 15:1

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Was my answer gentle? Tick
Was my conscience clear? Tick
Was my motive just to clarify and speak truth? Tick

Then, about 2 weeks ago, the leader’s wife gently told me about the way I speak. Sometime in the midst of a discussion, I get aggressive and my tone sounds offensive. Also, “we don’t need to correct other’s error even if there are errors”.

I thank her for telling me of my blind spot. I will digest that and make changes. Later in the day, I sent her a SMS message to apologize and thank her for her revelations about my faults.

Since that day, Colossians 4:6 is hanging in my hearts and mind all days long:

Let your conversation be always full of GRACE, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. (Col 4:6)

Agape

No comments: