Friday, July 26, 2013

Reflections on Bethany Camp 2013

Thank you – Constance, Diana, Jenny and Diane for all your heartfelt sharing during the many devotions and group discussions. Your openness has made my task as the group leader much easier!

It has been more than a month since the camp ended. Looking back, it all started sometime early this year when I told God during one morning devotion: “God, if someone from Bethany invited me to the June camp, I will join them.” When we pray, God works. And so …




Thrust suddenly into the forefront as a group leader has caught me unprepared. “Hey! I am supposed to be here to relax and fellowship, not to resuscitate my mind and time to prepare Bible studies.” Thankfully the sisters in the group are more than supportive in all their sharing, games and even the creative night. Rev Henry Hong, was our star in the skit!!

 I want to share 2 simple applications that I have taken with me from this camp. These are the areas that I will work on for the rest of my life:

1. The heart of the Father
The well known story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32) was shared from the father’s perspective. It is now the story of the prodigal Father. God is overly indulgence in giving love.

It reminds me to extend love, forgiveness and be gracious to people around me, those who desperately trying to squeeze into my lanes, to those who are aggressive in speech, to humble workers in my office and the common people that cross my path daily.

I am learning to hold everything “lightly”. A broken life is one that holds no grudges; no covetousness; freely receive, freely give. It embraces the simple life.


2. Live with simple prayers 
The story of the 3 hermits by Leo Tolstoy will perhaps resonate with us for a long long time.

We campers will remember the prayer of the 3 Hermits: “Three of YOU, three of us, have mercy on us”. It does not matter whether we pray well with the Lord’s prayer or the simple hermit’s prayer, everyone prayed differently and it doesn’t matter how we pray. But it is the desire to pray from the heart that matter and that prayer draws our lives closer to God.

When it gets tough, don’t do it alone! Pray in all circumstances, in all your daily duties, chores and work. Pray and you will see the hand of God at works. Attitude will change. Faith will rise up. Pray in the Spirit, pray in tongues, pray in faith! Pray also when you feel the lack of faith.


This is one nice song that we learnt during the camp – The Millenium Prayer: I am learning to memorise the lyrics.



Agape


No comments: