Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Reduce stress will improve happiness

Would you give up your stressful job and take up a easier job with lesser pay?

That was what my cell leader’s wife did. She may be the wife of the leader, but she is actually leading the cell, sharing and praying for the members. As such, last Friday, she share with the group that she gave up a higher pay job and asked to be the receptionist of the bank that she is presently working. Finally, the management agreed even though she is in her early fifty. Receptionists are usually the pretty young ones, as she said.

Today, I look around my workplace and ask myself who are the happiest people around. It is usually the workers with the least stress jobs. They have the least responsibility. The just do what is told, mingle freely with one another and when the time is out, you could hear them laughing as they leave the office. True, their pay is low but sufficient to keep life going.
To these workers, I see this in their lives:  Sufficient – stress = happiness


For the higher management, including me, our works are the most stressful. We encounter all the problems of the whole company and have to be on our toes to make sure everything is resolved. We need to keep the company profitable to avoid retrenching staff. Of course, we take the highest salary. In that sense, we may be seen as the rich. We fall into this category: Rich + highly stressed = misery

So, the inner voice in me reminded me to “reduce stress”. Isaiah 30:18 then came to my mind.

Therefore, the Lord waits to be gracious to you. Therefore, he will rise up to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are those who wait for him

Resting on His promise and seeking after God is my way to reduce stress. The greatest joy in my life is to see Him answering my prayers for the past few months. How His healing power came upon me and removed my physical pain that was sustained due to a fall.

Thank you, Lord for your promise in Isa 30:18.

Agape

No comments: