Thursday, October 7, 2021

Place of Solitude & Solace - Pray

What a tough week it has been. :(

A heavy burden that I am bearing.

Last Sunday, I accidentally knocked on my home bunny and fractured her left hind leg. Feeling very sad this whole week, Will tell you about how bunny is coping in my future post

Going to my place of solitude, to spend time with my Heavenly Father, to pour out my grief and to hear from Him. I have come regularly to this quiet place to pray, to reflect and to hear the voice of my Father. It is the place where I encounter HIM.


Jesus’s place of Solitude

This is the park just across my house, a quiet and shady park about 400m in circumference planted with tall trees, mango trees and coconut trees. Every time I walked up the steps of this Sea Shell Park, I would be reminded of Jesus going up to the Garden of Gethsemane, a garden planted with olive at Mount Olive in Jerusalem and there He spent quiet moment in prayer. What was Jesus’ prayer like? How did the Father speak to Him during those time of solitude and prayer? As busy as the Lord was, He has always put solitude and prayer as priority. He prayed early in the morning before dawn (Mk 1:35), he prayed after a busy day of teaching and feeding the 5000 (Mk 6:46) and most of all, he prayed the whole night while others were sleeping before his crucifixion.

 

What I encounter through Prayer

As for me, many a time when I pour out my emotion of sadness and anxiety onto Him, I am assured that He cares for me (1Pet 5:7). Also, I like to come up to this park to pray as the place is shady and windy. With the wind come also the peace of God flowing towards me.

There are times when I heard God telling me to wait as I prayed for a cell member who was suffering from cancer. To hear Him say WAIT, I remember Psa 27:14 “Wait for the LORD, be strong and let your heart take courage. Yeah, wait for the LORD” To wait means to keep praying. Then came the good news from that cell member who told us about the miracle healing!

There was a frightening kind of answer I got from God some years ago while praying for someone who is suffering from cancer. A cell-member was asking for prayer for his son-in-law. In one instance, as I was praying for this sick brother-in-Christ, I heard God telling me that he will die. It was frightening to hear such an answer in prayer. I also felt God wanting me to stop praying for him. After a year or so, he indeed past away into glory land.

 


What Prayer mean to me

Prayer is not so much about I wanting my way but willing to follow God’s way. So, when I start praying, I will always pause in the midst of my prayer and try to hear what the Holy Spirit is telling me how I should pray. I believe this is what the Bible calls – “Pray in the Spirit”. To pray in the Spirit then is to pray what the Holy Spirit want me to pray. What if we can’t hear what the Holy Spirit is speaking to us as we pray? Yes, sometime God remains silent. He usually does as He want our companionship. Then keep praying as what comes to your mind. God delight in hearing us pray and so by keeping silent, we continue to pray until He speaks. We need to pray, pause & hear, pray, pause & hear … It takes patient (Love, Joy, Peace, PATIENT, ….) even in prayer. This is best done in solitude (alone, with God) and not in group prayer. This is also where I sharpen my spiritual ears to hear from God.

 

 



And so, as I leave the Sea Shell Park, I always sense an unspoken shalom peace flowing within me. A tough week of burden can also be make light.

Matt 11:28 Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

 

Are you still bearing your heavy burden? Cast them all to God in prayer

Agape & Shalom Peace

No comments: