Monday, August 3, 2009

Sermon Reflection: 1Sam 28 & 31 – How to live/die well?


Sunday morning …

To live or die well – listen to the voice of God. That was the gist of the sermon as the preacher said it loud and clear.

But how does one listen to the voice of God?

Have you heard God or the Holy Spirit speak directly to you?

Maybe the preacher was talking about obeying the commandments in the Bible? For Saul, God’s voice is through the Prophet Samuel. So does it mean listening to the voice of God is from the Pastor’s sermon? Or is it, to listen to the voice of God means whatever you learn from the Bible, just follow and do?

Doesn’t sound right, leh. :(

If I can listen to the voice of God like King David, using what they call a Urim, or have a prophet like Nathan, then easy lah!

But no such things already - no prophet, no Urim, cannot hear God speaking directly to me, only the Bible.

Ai yah, why the preacher never tell the congregation how to listen to the voice of God?

Maybe she did, I was not attentive.

So this good sermon has a difficulty… How to listen to the voice of God in order to live well?

That set my sermon reflection as I left the sanctuary yesterday morning.

******

Sunday afternoon …

Thinking about what was going on through the week …

I was supposed to finish 10 pieces of a subsystem before the month end of July. At room temperature, all the pieces were working perfectly. However, as I tested over the temperature range of -30 degree Celsius (or Centigrade, if you like) to +70degC, I noticed that 4 pieces failed marginally at -27degree. I could conveniently brush it off and “just close one eye” so to say, as it will not adversely affect the overall system when this subsystem is used.

But, I felt that I should do things right. It was a matter of having a right conscience and listening to that small still voice.

As a result, I kept trying to find what caused the faults, and repeated the testing at -30degC. It was very tiring and finally, at the last day and last minute, I completed the 4 pieces.

Praise the LORD! Trying to maintain a clear conscience has its price.

Is listening to my conscience also considered as listening to the voice of God?

No comments: