Monday, March 15, 2010

A worship service that is so … different!



What do you think about today’s worship service?” I casually asked my 16 years old daughter yesterday as we were on our way home.

Eh, it’s so … different!”

What’s so different?”

Just different, lah!” She still couldn’t find the words to describe the experience we had in this church's service.

Yesterday, we had an opportunity to visit a church near our home. My first visit to this church was May last year. The feeling of Spirit’s presence was just as strong as it was then. The worship bulletin did not have any mission statement or purpose, the theme for the year or any announcement. There was no need to remind worshippers to worship God “in spirit and in truth” on paper. It was written in every hearts that are present. The songs still linger in my minds as I am writing this. The whole service ministers to the hearts. Perhaps that was what my daughter meant when she said, “It’s so different”. She was sitting between me and my wife. I could sense her complete attention during the service.

The worship handouts just contained the outline of the sermon, wonderfully and clearly layout. There were also insert of the church mission activities. When I saw the sermon outline, I knew we were going to have a dynamic speaker even before he spoke. The topic was on revival. This grandfatherly preacher was able to swings our mood as he injected humor to make us laugh and illustrations to bring tears to our eyes. At the end, hundreds came down to response to the altar call of re-commitment to Christ.

I left the worship service wondering why I am still staying with my presence church after 24 years there.

1 comment:

Abba Seet said...

Blogging is where you share your honest feelings! Thank you.

Just a penny for my thought: People come to church for many reasons, not necessary to worship God.