Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Reflecting on 2021

As the year 2021 is coming to an end, it's time to reflect and ask 2 questions:


1. Have I use my time in 2021 wisely?

The 3 main areas that take up most of my time are (1) House works, (2) Exercise/Jogging & (3) Personal time

#1 House-works / Serving

This year, I am given the honour to become the full-time servant of the house. House-works include cleaning, cooking, marketing, laundry, taking care of Dewy – feeding, washing her toilet. This is my primary duty and it takes most of the time. So, serving in the home trained me to do everything out of love. 1Corinthians 16:14 “And do everything with love” – this is my motivation.  I think I pass the test of doing everything out of love, not only for the family, but also for community works. My perspective of serving cheerfully has grown as the days go by. Initially, it was very hard. I think it is good to always remember that every time something needs to be done: “JUST DO IT!

Writing about serving, we must always remember that the Son of God, who willingly took on human form and came not to be served but to serve. And He served humbly, setting for us an example to follow.

 

#2. Exercise / Jogging

I feel stronger and run faster this year. I managed to complete a few 10km runs in about 55 minutes on numerous occasions. As I am no longer in full-time employment, I usually jogged about 4-5 times a week. Most of these runs or jogs were about 5km to 8km each and were usually about 5:35min/km. Occasionally, I will attempt a 5km run in less than 26 minutes. I am happy for the tremendous progress as I have never able to do a 10km run in less than 60 minutes when I am working full-time. What I need to do more now is to include aerobic exercise and weights pressing or lifting for muscle strength.

For 2022, I will run longer distances and build endurance beside power. My next goal is to do regularly 15km runs in less than 90 minutes next year and progressively to 20km before the year ends. To achieve this, I will need to build strength besides just running.

#3 Personal Time

Praying – This year is also a very stressful period of my life. So, prayer is most crucial to draw inner strength from the Almighty God. Afternoon is usually my time of prayer. It is also a time to reflect and listen. I have learn a lot about stillness and listening to God.

Reading - I have read less this year compared to previous years which I read a lot (mostly books borrowed from Singapore Bible College Library). Since COVID started, the library is closed. So, next year, I must get back the habit of reading again. There are many books in my book shelf, which I need to re-read and reflect.

Creating Passive Income - The total monthly household expense is about $1800/month. Food cost the most. (Singapore is the most expensive place in the world, you know!). Thanks to my daughter who contributed $300/monthly (quite a lot from her who just started work) and my wife who contributed $500/monthly. I still pay all the utility bills, town council, phone & internet, etc. So, it is important to plan well before retirement and have passive income. Passive income is income collected even when I am not doing anything. Nice right! Shake leg and still have money every month! These passive incomes are from dividends of the stocks. Also, when the stock market goes a bit crazy, then I can also make some money by careful trading the stock market. So, time must be allocated to monitor the stock market daily. I usually look at the stock market in the morning when it opens at 9am for a short while and then goes for a jog. The two most crucial period where day traders flip the market are during the morning at about 10:35 to 11am and in the afternoon at about 3:45 to 4pm, when they cover up their trading positions.

Playing Jigsaw Sudoku – This is my relax moment and also to exercise my logical reasoning. It is also about developing a sharp eye to see the missing numbers, one by one.


2. What are the lessons I have learnt this year?

Continue to contribute financially to Christian ministry – Gospel Mission to the Blind (GMB), Our Daily Bread (ODB) and National Kidney Foundation (NKF). Giving is one area where I learn to be careful is using my money, especially after I stop working. I have to trust God for His providence is order to be able to give. Let see how this goes for 2022.

Learning to cope with stress – physical, mental and emotional. It’s all about learning to let go and rest in God. Everything that happen this year has a reason. Once, I learn to look at the big picture of life and trust God in walking His Will.

Learning to serve cheerfully - it all about the willingness to do lowly and tedious jobs. He who wants to be the first must learn to be the least.


What have you learn this whole year, 2021?

Agape

No comments: