Monday, January 30, 2023

How likely are you to be scammed?

 Today, The Strait Times published an article about people being scammed and the top 5 types of scamming methods



Scamming is a big industries and one should be aware and not fall prey to it. Know yourself, your areas of weakness for being preyed upon is important.

I am unlikely to fall prey to love scams, Job scams, China official Impersonation scams. These kind of scams, I just ignored. As for loan scams, I don't need to borrow money. My likely-hood of being scammed will be internet related scams, such as a false website links which ask you for personal details like credit card number or Bank number. This kind of scam is sometime hard to detect. The internet links and web-page can look very similar to the real one. Once, I was preyed upon and enter my credit card number. Then, about a month later, about 4 British pounds was deducted. I immediately informed my Bank and they blocked my card and issued me a new card. DBS bank was also gracious to refund me the money lost. Thankfully, this incident was a small transaction and taught me a great lesson of never to trust any website. But we still need to use internet transaction with credit card in these era of days. Now everyday or so, I would monitor my cards recent bills to make sure there not fraudulent transactions.

We live in the internet world where thieves take on a new form, no longer physical but through the devices like phone, computer and any digital mode of communications. 

Sometimes, I just long to go back to the simple life of yester-years.

Any experience of encountering scams?

Blessings

No comments: